Stand out to employers by following this checklist to avoid common resume mistakes.
Check out here for a more comprehensive resume guide.
Don't use a flashy resume template. We recommend FlowCV.io
- Keep the colors minimal (White, Black, Dark Blue)
- No photos
- Place an expected graduation date.
Emphasive the impact you make in your experience, not the responsibilities you had
- Ex: Instead of "Helped customers shop" say "Generated $x in sales by helping customers with their purchases"
- Place the most recent experience at the top.
- Start each bullet with an action verb
Proofread your bullets.
- Spelling and grammatical errors are not good looks and avoidable
Avoid excessively wordy bullets: conciseness makes the readers’ lives easier.
- Each bullet should be a sentence
- If you have multiple sentences on one bullet you should break it up into multiple bullets
- Avoid acronyms unless it is widely familiar to non-technical readers
- Avoid putting content in the extreme top or bottom of the page.
- A cheap printer might cut out the extreme top or bottom.
- leave a ≥1/2 inch margin for safety.
- Avoid unnecessarily long names.
- Analytic Geometry & Calculus -> Calculus.
- Introduction to Systems Software -> Systems Software
- The extra words generally do not convey enough information to justify the space that the words take up.
- Make links clickable.
- Verify Linkedin/GitHub links, personal/project websites, and email addresses.
- Use \LaTeX when referencing LaTeX (for example, in a skills section) in a LaTeX resume.
for a left quote
- Use ’’ (two single-quotes) for a right quote
- Wrong: ”using double quotes is incorrect, the left quote will not render correctly”
- More info: https://tex.stackexchange.com/questions/10670/quotes-in-latex